Hover Hand is an awkward photo pose in which the subject wraps an arm around a companion with their hand hovering away from the companion’s body. Often spotted in casual group photographs, hover hands usually signify that the person feels uncomfortable or lacks the confidence required to make physical contact.
Most of us have know about the cringe inducing HOVER HAND for a few years now, here are a few awesome/horrible examples=
Why do guys hover hand?
Because they are too scared to touch a girl!
But I learned something many years ago while watching TV late at night….. by myself….. when the GIRLS GONE WILD commercials played (besides the fact I could speed whack before it ended)
Chicks will actually do crazy shit that they normally wouldn’t do, if a camera is on them!
When I was first working on my PUA skills on the mean streets of Tempe, my wing and I came up with a plan. Each night one of us would carry the digital camera, remember this was before every cell phone had a decent camera and it took up a lot of room in your pockets. You can follow the same plan, just decide who is on camera duty with your cell phone each night.
Whoever had the camera was in charge of snapping a few good pics of the other guy when he noticed he was in a good set because
- Pictures are a great reason for a guy to get close to a girl (when you are still in AFC land trying to justify getting close) and because it was your wing’s idea, you felt safe doing. To kick up a notch he would say stuff like
- smile bigger
- you are too far apart, get closer
- give him a kiss
- both of you give him a kiss
- If it’s a good pic, very easy for you to offer to text it to her (makes sense to use YOUR phone for this, so a good wing would ask for it before) and now you have her number.
- I had the mindset that I was going to get something out of each set I opened= value no matter what! So if the girls weren’t digging me I at least got some practice, or a solid pic that I could use online. (this one is really useful for the guys who always complain in my Online Game 2.0 program that they don’t have any pictures, who aren’t yet at a level where they can get cool DHV pics easily. Just don’t put up a picture like the guys above)
- It gives you an opportunity to initiate or escalate KINO – which the basic rule on KINO is as much as you can, as fast as you can, WITHOUT creeping her out. Maybe you have been doing a little touchy feely, a camera comes out and as the picture gets taken you pull her in for the kiss…and things escalate quickly from there- I know for a fact this works.
- To everyone else around in the venue, posing for cool/fun pics with people, gives the impression that you are friends with them. (I cover this more in my personal coaching and have been working on a blog post about this, but you want to look from 3 different perspectives- yours, her’s, and everyone else’s). You being the center of attention for one group makes it easier to initiate conversations with others.
No one likes a crappy picture, so by HOVER HANDING you are actually ruining the picture, and non-verbally conveying that you are a giant pussy.